Bergen County New Jersey Municipalities
Allendale became a Bergen County, N.J. borough organized and incorporated
November 10, 1894 (referendum November 8, 1894) from area taken from Orvil,
Hohokus, and Franklin Townships. The locality was known as "Allendale"
from 1848. It was named for the station established here on the Ramapo &
Paterson Railroad (later Erie main line; now Conrail), which had been named
for Joseph Warner Allen, the enginer who had surveyed the route of the railroad.
He had lived with the Ackerman family in Allendale for a time while he worked
in the area.
Between about 1806 until 1848 the area was sometimes called "the Turnpike"
for the Franklin Turnpike, a major thoroughfare established in 1806 as a
toll road running north/south through the community.
A residential community, Allendale was earlier agricultural and a summer
resort. Includes or included Crestwood Lake (now a 70-acre borough park),
Fell's Meadows, Wolf Swamp.
Allendale Postal Service -- Allendale Post Office was established 11 November
1869 with Smith Roswell as the first Postmaster. Other early Postmasters
included Richard V. Ackerman (18 Sep 1885), Louis Rossner (4 June 1889),
Henry Upham (13 Feb 1892), Stephen J. Van Blarcom (18 Apr 1893), Albert
F. Krause (26 Apr 1897), Michael McDermott (6 May 1902), John W. Winter
(25 July 1913), and William G. Z. Critchley (12 Dec 1922). The Allendale
Zip Code is 07401.
General Information -- Allendale is 2.79 sq. miles in area. Population:
1909-700; 1918-1,300; 1940-2,058; 1980-5,901; 1990-5,900.
Alpine was created as a Bergen County, N.J. borough April 8, 1903 from
area taken from Harrington Township. In 1904 Alpine acquired area from Cresskill
Borough. Includes or included Skunk Hollow.
The Blackledge-Kearney House, built about 1750 and restored to reflect three
significant periods in area history, is located in Alpine in the Palisades
The Alpine Cemetery, a non-sectarian community cemetery is located on the
south side of Cemetery Street in Alpine. It has about 100 markers dating
from 1870 to the present. Among the family names represented here are Crum,
Gecox, Pearsall, Tavinere, Van Sciver, and Ver Valen.
The Skunk Hollow Cemetery is a small African-American church cemetery located
in Alpine in Palisades Interstate Park, near the New York State line and
Route 9W. Some remains were transferred to other locations and other headstones
were vandalized. Among the family names originally represented in this cemetery
were Sisco, Thompson and Oliver.
Alpine Post Office -- Alpine Post Office was established 6 April 1871 with
Joseph DuBois as the first Postmaster. Other early Alpine Postmasters included
Edward Kohler (9 Aug 1893), Frederick J. Browning (24 Sep 1914), Anton Rinschler
(10 May 1918, and Charles A. Wendt (26 Jan 1921). The Alpine Zip Code is
General Information -- Alpine is 5.299 sq. miles in area. Population: 1909-300;
1918-448; 1940-626; 1980-1,549; 1990-1,716. See also Huyler's Landing.
Bergenfield is a Bergen County, N.J. borough incorporated as the Borough
of Bergenfield June 26, 1894 from area taken from Palisade and Englewood
Townships. Earlier a part of Palisade(s) Township. Also found written Bergen
The area was known as Schraalenburgh until the railroad named a station
located in present Dumont "Schraalenburgh." A new name was therefore
needed when a station was built to the south and the railroad printed a
time table designating the station Bergen Fields.
The building (erected 1799) of the old South Schraalenburgh Dutch Reformed
Church (organized 1724) is located here. Before the Civil War Richard T.
Cooper (and later his son, Tunis R. Cooper) ran a sawmill and chair factory
at the head of Cooper's Pond and George Wolfkill, a celebrated slip-ware
potter, probably had his pottery here ("G. Wolfkill" is noted
here on a 1860 map, but others have felt the pottery was located on the
banks of the Hackensack River). The Bergenfield Museum at 84 Hickory Avenue
opened in December 1989.
Bergenfield Post Office -- The Bergenfield Post Office was established 11
Dec 1883 with John Z. Demarest as the first Postmaster. Other early Bergenfield
Postmasters included Charles B. Hunter (appointed 23 Feb 1911), George Breisacher
(1 Mar 1915), Alfred Christie (10 Sep 1919), and John G. Stoughton (15 Feb
1924). The Bergenfield Zip Code is 07621.
General Information -- A station in 1918 on the West Shore Railroad and
the New York, Ontario and Western Railroad (one station used by both lines).
3 sq. miles in area. Population: 1918-3,200; 1930-8.816; 1940-10,275; 1950-17,647;
1970-29,700; 1980-25,263; 1990-24,458.
A Bergen County, N.J. borough organized November 17, 1894 (referendum
November 14, 1894) from area taken from Ridgefield Township. It was named
for the Bogert family who settled and lived in the area. In 1895, part of
its area went to Teaneck Township, and on May 3, 1921 part of its area went
to Overpeck Township.
In 1641 the Achter Col Colony, extending northward from Newark Bay toward
Tappan, N.Y., was established in what is thought to have been this vicinity.
It was destroyed in 1643 by Indians.
Paper and cardboard manufacturing companies were begun here as early as
1895. Bogota was served by three railroads in 1909: the West Shore Railroad,
the New York, Ontario and Western Railroad, and the New York, Susquehanna
and Western Railroad; all three having stations within the borough.
Bogota Post Office - A Bogota Post Office was established here on 26 June
1895 with Lewis V. D. Smith as Postmaster. The Bogota Post Office was discontinued
30 June 1901, with its mail to be handled by Hackensack Post Office (it
became Sub-station No. 3 of Hackensack). This became Station No. 3 31 March
1902 and was discontinued 30 June 1905. In April 1906 it was re-established
as Station No. 4 (Bogota) of the Hackensack Post Office. It became Bogota
Branch, Hackensack 1 March 1924 and became an Independent Branch Feb 1927.
A Rural Bogota Station of Hackensack was established May 1916 and was discontinued
1923. Today Bogota receives mail through the Hackensack Post Office (Bogota
Branch, with a Zip Code of 07603).
General Information - Bogota is .703 sq. mile in area. Population: 1909-800;
1918-3,000; 1940-7,346; 1980-8,344; 1990-7,824.
The vicinity probably was known by the name of Carlstadt from 1851 when
The German Democratic Land Association bought the site. The place was named
in honor of the organizer of the settlement, Dr. Carl Klein. Carlstadt village
was formed March 12, 1860 within Lodi Township.
Carlstadt Borough was organized June 28, 1894 with its area taken from Bergen
Township. In 1895 and 1897 more area was added to the Borough from Bergen
Township. Includes locality called Hexenbuckl.
Carlstadt Post Office - A Bergen County Post Office named Carlstadt was
established 2 August 1858 with Charles R. Treppke as the first Postmaster.
The Carlstadt Post Office was discontinued 29 July 1901 and on 1 August
1901 it became a Station of the Rutherford Post Office. It became an Independent
Station 2 Dec 1901 and an Independent Branch 25 May 1908. The Carlstadt
Post Office was reestablished at a later date. Other early Carlstadt Postmasters
were John N. Rasmus (30 Aug 1860), John M. Deppert (13 Sep 1865), Albert
Hoffman (2 May 1881), George Zimmerman (18 Sep 1885), Albert Hoffman (11
May 1889), Henry Petri (30 June 1893) Jacob H. Ullmann (16 June 1897), and
Albert Neiderer (22 June 1901). Today Carlstadt receives its mail through
the Rutherford Post Office (Carlstadt Branch, Zip Code 07072).
General Information - In 1909 Carlstadt was a station on the Erie Railroad
(in 1918, the New Jersey and New York Railroad, Erie System). 4.2 sq. miles
in area. Population: 1909-3.500; 1918-5,000; 1940-5,644; 1980-6,166; 1990-5,510.
Cliffside Park is a Bergen County, N.J. borough organized January 16,
1895 (referendum January 15, 1895) from area taken from Ridgefield Township.
In 1909 some area from Fairview Borough was added. Earlier called Cliffside
Cliffside Park includes or included Grantwood, Pleasant Valley, and Shadyside.
Palisades Amusement Park was operated here from 1898 until 1971.
Cliffside Park Postal Service - On 30 September 1931 the name of the Cliffside
Post Office was changed to Cliffside Park Post Office. At one time, some
areas of Cliifside Park received their mail through the Hudson Heights Post
Office (Township of North Bergen, Hudson County, NJ). The Cliffside Park
Zip Code is 07010.
General Information - Cliffside Park is about 1 sq. mile in area. Population:
1940-16,892; 1970-18,891; 1980-21,464; 1990-20,393.
A vicinity, called Closter, originally a large area of undefined boundaries,
existed from 1723 or earlier. It included the territory approximately as
far north as Tappan, N.Y. and as far south as Englewood, N.J.
Closter Borough was formed April 1903 (incorporated 1 January 1904) from
land taken from Harrington Township. In 1904 a part of Closter's area was
transferred to Harrington Park Borough.
The Abram Demaree Homestead at Old Hook and Schraalenburgh Roads in Closter
is maintained by a preservation group as an historic site and educational
Closter Postal Service - A Closter Post Office was established 18 Jan 1861
with John H. Stephens as the first Postmaster. Other early Closter Postmasters
included David L. Baker (6 May 1884), John B. Kipp (18 Sep 1885), David
L. Baker (22 Mar 1889), Garrett D. Durie (29 June 1893), William L. Lindemann,
Jr. (28 Oct 1895), William Tate (20 Sep 1897), John H. Lindemann (7 Feb
1916), David C. Bogert (1 July 1924) and Victor R. Bell (18 Mar 1930). The
Closter Zip Code is 07624.
General Information - A station stop on the Northern Railroad of New Jersey.
3.31 sq. miles in area. Population: 1909-1,500; 1940-2,603; 1980-8,164;
Cresskill became a Bergen County, N.J. borough incorporated May 11, 1894
(referendum May 8, 1894), from area taken from Palisades Township. Named
for the watercress that grew in abundance in the stream here. In 1904 a
portion of its area transferred to Alpine Borough. On December 31, 1970
parts were exchanged with Tenafly Borough.
The Camp Merritt Memorial at Knickerbocker Road and Madison Avenue in Cresskill
is a county-owned memorial monument and min-park erected on part of the
1917 site of the World War I Camp Meritt.
Cresskill Post Office - Cresskill Post Office was established 30 January
1863 with Henry Ferdon as the first Postmaster. Other early Cresskill Postmasters
included Charles E. Blauvelt (19 Sep 1873), Joseph K. Bertholf (4 May 1884),
Charles E. Blauvelt (20 June 1889), James M. Lewis (16 Sep 1895), Edith
L. Demarest (8 July 1903), Edith L. Bogert (11 Sep 1905), Louis Meore (26
Feb 1907), Lemuel M. Stuart (26 Aug 1911), Henry T. Thiele (19 Feb 1914),
George N. Crabbe (18 Jan 1916), William Griffin (3 Nov 1916), Lauretta V.
Byrnes (5 June 1923), Inez Greene (4 Aug 1925), and William R. Mayer (22
Mar 1926). The Cresskill Zip Code is 07626.
General Information - In 1909 a station on the Northrn Railroad of New Jersey
(Erie System).2 sq. miles in area. Population: 1909-700; 1940-2,246; 1980-7,609;
Demarest became a Bergen County, N.J. borough incorporated April 8, 1903
from land taken from Harrington and Palisades Townships. Named after the
Hon. Ralph S. Demarest, a Senator from Bergen County in 1860-62 and Assemblyman
in 1855-56. Earlier called Lower Closter.
The railroad depot at Demarest was designed by J. Cleveland Cady (architect
of the Metropolitan Opera House and the American Museum of Natural History)
and built in 1874 of stone quarried in the vicinity.
A Bergen County post office by this name existed by 1871. Early Demarest
postmasters included John A. Van Buskirk (5 Dec 1871), William Palmer (16
Mar 1886), John D. Ferdon (29 July 1889), John H. Priest (19 Sep 1891),
Matthew J. Bogert (30 Mar 1892), Arthur H. Priest (26 July 1904) John H.
Kook (13 Mar 1907), Benjamin T. Macdonald (29 July 1909), Elizabeth S. McDonald
(12 Dec 1916), Marion D. Ketcham (4 Mar 1922), Frank Achilles (15 Jan 1924),
Anna Heus (19 Dec 1927). The Demarest Zip Code is 07627.
General Information - In 1909 a station on the Northern Railroad of New
Jersey (Erie System). 2.1 sq. miles in area. Population: 1909-500; 1940-1,165;
Incorporated as Bergen County, N.J. Borough of Schraalenburgh July 20,
1894. It was renamed the Borough of Dumont in 1895 in honor of Dumont Clarke,
a New York banker and public-spirited citizen of the area who was the first
Mayor of the Borough of Dumont. The Borough of Dumont was incorporated June
13, 1898. In 1904 part of its area was transferred to Haworth Borough.
Dumont Post Office - The former Schraalenburgh Post Office was renamed Dumont
Post Office on 19 Nov 1898. Early Dumont postmasters included Peter E. Moore
(appointed 19 Nov 1898) and Frank Will (25 May 1906). The Dumont Zip Code
General Information - In 1909 Dumont was a station on the West Shore Railroad.
1.79 sq. miles in area. Population: 1909-1,400; 1940-7,556; 1970-20,155;
Bergen County, N.J. borough organized March 28, 1894 (referendum March
27, 1894) replacing Boiling Springs Township. Includes or included Carlton
East Rutherford was established as a Branch Post Office of the Rutherford
Post Office on 1 October 1926 and became an Independent Branch in March
1931. Today East Rutherford receives its mail from Rutherford Post Office
(the East Rutherford Branch Zip Code is 07073.)
General Information - East Rutherford is 3.64 sq. miles in area. Population:
1940-7,268; 1980-7,849; 1990-7,902.
The Edgewater area was a Bergen County, N.J. borough organized as Undercliff
Borough on December 7, 1894 from area taken from Ridgefield Township. Its
name was changed, in March 1895, to Edgewater; it was incorporated as Edgewater
Borough on November 8, 1899 by resolution of Council.
Edgewater Post Office - The Edgewater Post Office was established 21 January
1879 with John A. Winterburn as the first Postmaster. Other early Edgewater
Postmasters included Munson G. Pickett (appointed 29 Nov 1881), Oliver C.
Sprague (26 Dec 1883), James H. Wynne (10 Aug 1888), John A. Winterburn
(16 Sep 1895), William C. Godstrey (27 Nov 1899), John J. McGarry (1 June
1906), Emery Benoit (6 June 1914), Irvin D. B. Spatz (15 Jan 1923), Charles
Van Gelder (1 Oct 1926), and George Oberle (19 Dec 1927). The Edgewater
Zip Code is 07020.
General Information - In 1909 Edgewater was a station on the New York, Susquehanna
and Western Railroad. Includes or included Burdett's Ferry. .70 sq. mile
in area. Population: 1909-1,775; 1940-4,082; 1980-4,628; 1990-5,001.
Formerly East Paterson; still earlier, Dundee Lake. Elmwood Park is a
Bergen County, N.J. borough incorporated as East Paterson March 16, 1916;
its name was changed to Elmwood Park Borough on January 1, 1973 (referendum
November 7, 1972). Includes or included Dundee, Dundee Lake, and Passaic
Elmwood Park Post Office - The Elmwood Park Zip Code is 07407.
General Information - Population: 1970-20,511; 1980-18,377; 1990-17,623.
An area originally called Kinderkamack, it was set off from the Township
of Washington, and incorporated as the Bergen County, N.J. borough of Etna
on April 8, 1903. Etna was a station on the New Jersey & New York Railroad.
The name was changed and it was incorporated as the Borough of Emerson on
March 9, 1909. In 1909 a part of its area transferred to Westwood Borough.
On April 26, 1939 part of its area went to Paramus Borough. On September
24, 1957 Emerson Borough exchanged portions with Westwood Borough.
Includes or included sections called Continental Woods, Frog Town, Lozier
Park, Memorial School, Old Hook, Soldier Hill, Steenrapie. Primarily residential.
Emerson Post Office - The name of the Bergen County Post Office of Kinderkamack
was changed 1 June 1877 to Etna, which name was later changed from Etna
to Emerson. Early Emerson postmasters included Herman Keystone (appointed
24 May 1909), Diedrich Wulff (9 Feb 1912), David Battaglia (5 Mar 1921),
Rocco Alexander (16 Feb 1927) and Frances R. Pavese (15 Oct 1927). The Emerson
Zip Code is 07630.
General Information - Emerson is about 2.5 sq. miles in area. Population:
1940-1,487; 1980-7,793; 1990-6,930.
Englewood Township was formed April 3, 1871 from area taken from Hackensack
Township. The vicinity had been known by this name from at least August
15, 1859, when J. Wyman Jones filed a map of "Englewood" in the
Bergen County Clerk's Office. The name is said to be a contraction of "English
Neighborhood," the early name for this locality. On June 26, 1894 part
of its area went to Bergenfield Borough. In 1895 part of its area transferred
to Teaneck Township. On May 10, 1895 a portion went to Englewood Cliffs
Borough. On March 17, 1899 its remaining area became part of Englewood City.
Also known from an early time as Liberty Pole. Includes or included Nordhoff.
Englewood City was incorporated March 17, 1899, formed from Englewood Township
and Ridgefield Township. A previous referendum on March 10, 1896 and incorporation
March 12, 1896 were declared unconstitutional. In 1960 Englewood City's
boundary with Englewood Cliffs Borough was clarified.
Englewood Post Office - Englewood Post Office was established 18 January
1861 with John Van Brunt as the first Postmaster. Other early Englewood
Postmasters included James W. Deuel (28 Nov 1863), Gilbert W. Chamberlain
(10 Dec 1867), Henry J. DeMott (7 Apr 1869), Henry C. Jackson (2 Apr 1872),
Charles Barry, Jr. (13 Dec 1882), Francis H. Demarest (10 Jan 1887), John
H. Ackerman (27 Jan 1891), Alexander Livingston, Jr. (21 Sep 1893), James
Harris (16 Nov 1897), Charles D. Stainton (16 Mar 1904), Thomas C. Bertwhistle
(20 Aug 1913), and Milton A. Whyard (31 Mar 1922). The Englewood Zip Code
General Information - In 1909 Englewood was a station on the Erie Railroad.
A residential community, 4.5 sq. miles in area. Population: 1909-9,000;
1940-18,966; 1970-24,985; 1980-23,701; 1990-23,601 (or 24,850).
A Bergen County, N.J. borough incorporated May 10, 1895 (referendum May
9, 1895). It was created from area taken from Englewood and Palisades Townships.
In 1960 its boundary with Englewood City was clarified.
At one time Englewood Cliffs mail was handled by the Coytesville Post Office.
Englewood Cliffs today receives its mail through the Englewood Post Office
(the Englewood Cliffs Branch Zip Code is 07632).
General Information - Englewood Cliffs is about 1.9 sq. miles in area. Population:
1940-888; 1980-5,698; 1990-5,634.
The area was created a Bergen County, N.J. Borough incorporated March
6, 1924 (referendum April 5, 1924) as "Fairlawn," from area taken
from Saddle River Township. The name was taken from "Fairlawn,"
the name David Acker gave to his estate built in 1865 (later the Fair Lawn
Municipal Building). From the 1600s to as late as 1791 the locality that
became Fair Lawn was known as Slaughterdam or Slooterdam. By the late 1800s
the area was "Fairlawn," but later the Post Office split the name
into two words, "Fair Lawn." In 1933 the borough's official spelling
was changed to Fair Lawn Borough. Includes or included Bellair, Radburn,
and Warren Point.
The Cadmus House, at 14-01 Pollitt Avenue in Fair Lawn houses the Fair Lawn
Historical Museum. The Garretson Farm, at 4-02 River Road, Fair Lawn, is
a county-owned historic site on a farmstead begun shortly after 1719.
Fair Lawn Post Office - Fair Lawn Post Office (often spelled Fairlawn Post
Office) was established 6 February 1882 with Henry A. Hopper as the first
Postmaster. The Post Office name was originally two words, Fair Lawn, but
was changed to one word, Fairlawn, on 1 Dec 1931. Other early Fair Lawn
Postmasters included Henry Hopper, Jr. (appointed 15 Apr 1884), Louis A.
Gumaer (7 Mar 1901), William H. Cadmus (2 Mar 1905), Walter M. Bogert (27
July 1910), Mervin R. Crist (14 May 1912), Zigman Challice (4 June 1920),
and Z. Charles Challice (28 Feb 1928). The Fair Lawn Zip Code is 07410.
General Information - In 1909 Fair Lawn was a station on the Erie Railroad.
5.3 sq. miles in area. Population: 1909-160; 1940-9,017; 1970-37,975; 1980-32,229;
Fairview became a Bergen County, N.J. Borough organized December 19,
1894 (referendum December 18, 1894) from area taken from Ridgefield Township.
In 1909 part of its area was transferred to Cliffside Park Borough.
Fairview Postal Service - A post office by this name existed as early as
1869. The post office had earlier been named English Neighborhood. Early
Fairview postmasters included David McDonald (15 Oct 1869), William H. McDonald
(10 Ap[r 1883), Percival D. Wragg (2 Mar 1886), Wm. H. McDonald (13 May
1889), Percival D. Wragg (9 Aug 1893), John B. Cowan (11 Oct 1897), Gerard
Hahrenholz (12 Mar 1900), Nat V. Samler (12 Mar 1903), Mary A. Danielson
(17 Apr 1905), John P. Phillips (5 July 1906), Robert J. MacLeese (22 Oct
1915), John D. Janssen (29 Mar 1917) Patrick Marino (13 Apr 1921), Joseph
Caccio (11 Oct 1921), Dante Caporale (10 Jan 1923), Patrick Marino (22 Aug
1925), and William C. Jordan (7 Jan 1926). At one time, some areas of Fairview
received their mail through the Hudson Heights Post Office (Township of
North Bergen, Hudson County, NJ) and at one time mail for a small section
of North Bergen around the Fairview railroad station was handled by the
Fairview Post Office. The Fairview Zip Code is 07022.
General Information - Fairview was station on the Northern Railway. Earlier
known as English Neighborhood. .9 sq. mile in area. Population: 1909-2,000;
1940-8,770; 1970-10,698; 1980-10,519; 1990-10,733.
The locality of Fort Lee was called by that name from the time of the
Revolution, and later was a settlement within Ridgefield Township. The Borough
of Fort Lee was organized and incorporated as a Bergen County, N.J. borough
March 29, 1904, replacing Ridgefield Township. In 1909 part of its area
was transferred to Cliffside Park Borough. Earlier called Long Meadow. Includes
or included Coytesville and Taylorville.
In 1882 Semindinger's, a manufacturer of photographic materials, was here.
In 1909 Fort Lee was a station on the Northern Railroad of New Jersey. During
1910-21 some of the pioneer film-making companies had their headquarters
in Fort Lee, where the Palisades became the backdrop as Pearl White hung
precariously in at least one episode of "The Perils of Pauline,"
the film series that quite literally introduced the term, "cliff hanger."
The Fort Lee Historic Park, a 33-acre site of Revolutionary fortifications
with a museum is located on Hudson Terrace and is administered by the Palisades
Interstate Park Commission.
Fort Lee Postal Service - A Bergen County post office, Fort Lee Post Office
was established 29 Nov 1838 with Ivan (or E.) Lumley (or Evan Sumley) as
Postmaster, and was discontinued 6 Oct 1840. The Fort Lee Post Office was
re-established on 24 March 1854, with Michael O'Neil as Postmaster. Other
early Fort Lee Postmasters included Henry Burdett (13 Sep 1865), John Diehl
(18 Jan 1869), Charles E. Richter (24 Jan 1876), Carl L. Richter (28 Mar
1892), and William John Hart (3 Mar 1925). The Fort Lee Zip Code is 07024.
General Information - Fort Lee is about 2.5 sq. miles in area. Population:
1909-3,800; 1940-9,468; 1970-30,361; 1980-32,406; 1990-31,997.
A Bergen County, N.J. borough organized March 1922 and incorporated March
11, 1922 from land set off from Franklin Township. Includes or included
Bakers Pond, Blauvelt Lakes, Campgaw, Crystal Lakes, Ferdinands Mills, Hopper
Lake, Newfoundland, and Shadow Lake. The lake itself--Franklin Lake--was
earlier called "Great Pond."
Franklin Lakes Post Office - At one time Franklin Lakes received its mail
through the Oakland, Campgaw, and Midland Park Post Offices. The Franklin
Lakes Zip Code is 07417.
General Information - Residential; approx. 10 sq. miles in area. Population:
1940-1,203; 1980-8,769; 1990-9,873.
The area was earlier called Dundee. A part of Saddle River Township,
the village of Garfield was laid out in 1881 at the junction of the Passaic
and Saddle rivers and named after (20th) U.S. President James Abram Garfield.
Garfield was incorporated as a Bergen County, N.J. borough March 15, 1898
from area taken from Saddle River Township and Wallington Borough. Garfield
was incorporated as a city April 19, 1917, replacing Garfield Borough.
Post Ford, located on River Road near Columbus Avenue, was a Passaic River
crossing used by the British and Washington's army during the Revolutionary
War. The octagon house on Orchard Street gave the Belmont section its name.
Includes or included sections called Bear's Nest, Belmont, Bogart Heights,
Cadmus' Melon Patch, Dundee, Dundee Dam, East Passaic, Garfield Park, Peck
Hook, Plaudersville, Robertsford.
Largely industrial, Garfield was once known for woolen products and today
its chief industries are paper and paper products, chemicals, textiles,
clothing and aluuminum products.
Garfield Post Office - The Garfield Post Office was established 7 August
1882 with Nicholas G. Vreeland as the first Postmaster. Garfield Post Office
was discontinued 31 Jan 1902 and itbecame on 1 February 1902 a Station of
the Passaic (Passaic County) Post Office. It then became a Branch (20 May
1908) and an Independent Branch (March 1926) of the Passaic Post Office.
Garfield Post Office was reestablished 1 March 1928. Other early Garfield
Postmasters included Henry Krygsman (appointed 29 May 1883), Gilbert D.
Bogart (15 Oct 1883), Joel Horton (27 Mar 1888), Gilbert D. Bogert (13 May
1889), William O. Rush (19 Aug 1893), Charles H. Wright (22 June 1897),
and DeWilton Lee Anderson (28 May 1829). The Garfield Zip Code is 07026.
General Information - In 1909 Garfield was a station on both the Bergen
County Branch of the Erie Railroad, and the New York, Susquehanna and Western
Railroad. Garfield is 2.08 sq. miles in area. Population: 1909-7,200; 1940-28,044;
1960-29,253; 1970-30,797; 1980-26,870; 1990-26,727.
A Bergen County, N.J. Borough organized (by referendum) September 12,
1894 and incorporated September 14, 1894, from area taken from Saddle River
and Ridgewood Townships. Known earlier as Big Rock (from the large boulder
located here), Small Lots and Rock Road.
Glen Rock was established as a Branch Post Office of the Ridgewood Post
Office in August 1923, and became an Independent Branch in August 1935.
Glen Rock is today a Branch of the Ridgewood Post Office. The Glen Rock
Zip Code is 07452.
General Information - Includes Ferndale. 2.8 sq. miles in area. Population:
1940-5,177; 1970-13,011; 1980-11,497; 1990-10,883.
Hackensack Precinct was originally a large territory which included all
of the land in what was then Bergen County -- a narrow strip perhaps 5 or
6 miles wide along the west side of the Hudson River from the settlement
of Bergen north to the New York state line, and stretching as far west as
the Hackensack River. The locality name "Hackensack" originally
referred only to the country between the Hudson and Hackensack Rivers. The
name is Indian, probably meaning something like "one stream uniting
imperceptibly with another in low, level ground," and was the name
of the Hackensackey Indians who had an encampment about on the site of present-day
Hackensack was originally settled in 1642 by Myndert Myndertson van der
Horst at a locality said to be near present-day Little Ferry. This first
settlement was destroyed in 1643 by Indians. Early Hackensack encompassed
a large area within the jurisdiction of the Hackensack Reformed Dutch Church,
which was established here in 1686.
The original area of Hackensack was also known as New Barbadoes Township.
(The country between the lower Hackensack and Passaic Rivers was called
New Barbadoes by its early patentees, John Berry and others, some of whom
had been born on the Island of Barbadoes.)
Hackensack Township was created by an act of the General Assembly on October
31, 1693 at which time its area included the land between the Hackensack
and Hudson Rivers, extending on the south to the bounds of the Town of Bergen
and to the north to the partition line of the Province (the New York State
line). The Reformed Dutch Church of Hackensack was established here in 1686.
Hackensack village was a part of Essex County until 1709 when Bergen County
was enlarged and Hackensack was designated its county seat. In 1775 part
of its area was transferred to Harrington Township. On February 21, 1798
Hackensack Township was incorporated. On March 22, 1871 Hackensack Township
was divided into Ridgefield, Englewood, and Palisades Townships.
Hackensack Post Office -- A Bergen County post office by this name was established
28 Aug 1797 with Archibald Campbell as the first Hackensack Postmaster.
This was Bergen County's first known post office. Other early Hackensack
Postmasters included George Cassady (about 1805), John Baird (by 1806),
Jonathan Baldwin (about 1811), Abraham Westervelt (by 1812), Robert J. Campbell
(by 1827), A Hopper and R. Hill (appointed 8 Oct 1834), David D. Demarest
(2 Oct 1834), Henry H. Banta (1 July 1841), David D. Demarest (29 Aug 1843),
Albert G. Doremus (26 Aug 1845), Peter N. B. Demarest (22 June 1849), Steven
T. Vanderbeek (22 Nov 1851), James B. Cleveland (3- Jan 1862), James Stewart
(30 Mar 1868), Jacob S. Lozier (2 July 1869), Abraham H. Berry (17 Oct 1878),
Mrs. Emma W. Berry (29 Aug 1879), John H. Winant (22 Mar 1888), John Engel
(22 May 1888), William O. Labagh (9 May 1992), Jacob H. Fauk (14 May 1896),
John J. Anderson (28 May 1900), William Jeffers (4 Aug 1905), James Norton
(18 Feb 1914), Jacob W. Binder (28 Jan 1920), and William Jeffers (16 May
1922). Hackensack Zip Codes are 07601 (General Delivery) and 07602 (Main
Office, Postmaster, Boxes). The Hackensack Post Office has Branches for
Bogota, Hasbrouck Heights, Leonia, Maywood, South Hackensack, and Teterboro.
Hackensack Commission -- Hackensack was incorporated April 1, 1868 as a
town named "Hackensack Commission," formed within New Barbadoes
Township. In 1869 and in 1873 the boundary changed within New Barbadoes
Township. In 1895 part of its area was acquired from New Barbadoes Township
and in 1896 Hackensack acquired part of Lodi Township.
The earlier Hackensack territories are often referred to as Old Hackensack.
Hackensack City -- Hackensack was incorporated November 8, 1921 as a Bergen
County, N.J. City, replacing Hackensack Commission and New Barbadoes Township.
On November 1, 1961 areas were transferred to and from River Edge Borough.
Hackensack is the county seat of Bergen County, N.J. In 1909 Hackensack
boasted 6 stations (within the city) on the New York, Susquehanna and Western
Railroad and the New Jersey and New York Railroad. Hackensack includes the
present or former localities of Fairmount, Lodi Junction, North Hackensack
General Information - Hackensack is 4 sq. miles in area. Population: 1909-15,000;
1940-26,279; 1970-36,008; 1980-36,039; 1990-37,049.
A Bergen County, N.J. borough organized from land taken from Harrington
Township, Washington Township and Closter Borough. Incorporated March 29,
1904. In 1907 land west of Bogert Mill Bridge, extending to Old Hook Road,
was turned over by Washington Township. Harrington Park's name is derived
from the Haring family who were early settlers here.
Harrington Park Post Office - On 27 October 1927 the Harrington Post Office
was changed to Harrington Park Post Office. An early Harrington Park postmaster
was Andres H. Fechtenburg (appointed 16 Feb 1927). The Harrington Park Zip
Code is 07640.
General Information - In 1909 Harrington Park was a station on the West
Shore Railroad. Locality earlier called Harrington. 2.1 sq. miles in area.
Population: 1909-600; 1940-1,389; 1980-4,532; 1990-4,623.
Hasbrouck Heights is a Bergen County, N.J. Borough which was organized
July 31, 1894 (referendum) from area taken from Lodi Township. It was incorporated
as Hasbrouck Heights Borough August 2, 1894. In 1901 part of its area was
transferred to Lodi Borough; in 1905 some area was transferred to Hasbrouck
Heights from Lodi Township. On July 5, 1918 part of its area was transferred
to Teterboro Borough.
Earlier known as Polifly and Corona. The name Corona was changed about 1890
to Hasbrouck Heights to avoid confusion with Corona, NY (on Long Island).
The name Hasbrouck Heights was chosen to honor J. D. Hasbrouck, then General
Manager of the New Jersey and New York Railroad.
Hasbrouck Heights Postal Service -- A post office named Corona Post Office
existed here by 1876. On 29 Nov 1889 the Corona Post Office was changed
to Hasbrouck Heights. Early Hasbrouck Heights postmasters included Franklin
R. Taggart (appointed 29 Nov 1889), Edward M. Anson (23 Nov 1893), and Richmond
H. Taggart (2 Oct 1897). The Hasbrouck Heights Post Office was discontinued
2 Oct 1901 with its mail to be handled by Hackensack Post Office. Today
Hackensack Post Office handles the mail for Hasbrouck Heights, with the
Hasbrouck Heights Branch having a Zip Code of 07604.
General Information -- In 1909 Hasbrouck Heights had 2 stations on the New
Jersey and New York Railroad (Erie System). The area was earlierearlier
known as Polifly. Included Corona. 1.5 sq. miles in area. Population: 1909-1,825;
1940-6,716; 1970-13,651; 1980-12,166; 1990-11,488.
Haworth is a Bergen County, N.J. borough which was incorporated on February
24, 1904 from Dumont Borough and Harrington Township. The name may be related to
Haworth, England, the home of the Brontė sisters.
Haworth Post Office -- The Haworth Post Office was established 26 March
1891 with Ninah L. Kilbourn as the first Postmaster. Other early Haworth
Postmasters included Adolph C. Lobeck (appointed 8 March 1892), George S.
Robinson (17 May 1895), Wilbur F. Herrick (14 Mar 1898), Charles F. Fowler
(20 Feb 1900), Dennis T. Wintersteen (19 Mar 1903), Bayard Wight (19 Aug
1907), George A. Hurd (16 Sep 1908), William E. Kastendike (12 June 1915),
Erving M. Fish (1 Oct 1918), Wilbur H. LeCompte (1 June 1919), William H.
Grenelle (1 Oct 1920), and Caroline A. Cowan (1 Nov 1922). The Haworth Zip
Code is 07641.
General Information -- Haworth is 2.2 sq. miles in area. Population: 1940-1,419;
Hillsdale Township was organized as a Bergen County, N.J. township March
25, 1898, from area taken from Washington Township. In 1906 part of its
area was transferred to River Vale Township. On March 2, 1923 it became
Hillsdale Borough, replacing Hillsdale Township. On February 10, 1958 Hillsdale
Borough exchanged portions with Park Ridge Borough.
Hillsdale Post Office - Hillsdale Post Office was established 11 April 1870
with Henry G. Hering as the first Postmaster. Other early Postmasters included
Isaac D. Cole (26 Apr 1876), Wm. W. Banta (23 May 1887), David C. Demarest
(7 Aug 1894), John W. Kinmouth (6 Sep 1894), John H. Winters (24 Aug 1898),
John W. Kinmouth (11 Dec 1914), Joseph P. Quin (29 Jan 1917), Charles H.
K. Riley (21 Dec 1925), and John W. Barnett (6 Apr 1928). The Hillsdale
Zip Code is 07642.
General Information - A station on the New Jersey and New York Railroad.
Includes Hillsdale Manor and Overbrook. 2.9 sq. miles in area. Population:
1909-1,100; 1940-3,438; 1970-11,768; 1980-10,495; 1990-9,750.
A settlement within the Township of Hohokus (and later in Orvil Township),
earlier spelled Hohokus or HoHokus (no hyphens). Incorporated as a borough
October 12, 1908, replacing Orvil Borough. (The borough name Ho-Ho-Kus is
hyphenated; the township name was not.) On May 28, 1974 a part of its area
was transferred to Ridgewood Village.
In 1905, according to Sue Hudson, what later became the Borough of Ho-Ho-Kus
had been created as the Borough of Orvil (although the name Hohokus was
retained for the post office, and the name Undercliff was retained for the
Earlier called Hoppertown, New Prospect, and Undercliff. At the time of
the Revolution, the locality was within the larger area called Paramus.
In July 1778, George Washington visited at "the Hermitage," then
the home of Mrs. James Prevost (Theodosia), which is in present-day Ho-Ho-Kus,
at 335 Franklin Turnpike near the border of Waldwick Borough. The site of
Aaron Burr's wedding to Theodosia, and remodeled in Gothic Revival style
in 1847, it is today a State Historic Site and is operated by The Friends
of the Hermitage.
Hohokus Post Office. On 5 May 1858, the New Prospect Post Office's name
was changed to Hohokus Post Office. Early Hohokus postmasters included Peter
Van Emburgh (5 May 1858), Jacob H. Bamper (5 Oct 1860), Samuel A. McGregor
(12 Oct 1861), John J. Zabriskie (11 Jan 1864), Garret J. B. Keiser (4 Sep
1876), James C. H. Sherwood (3 Nov 1910), Richard Ransom (21 May 1926, Matilda
E. Andrick (19 Mar 1928), and Ada Hopler (1 July 1929). The Ho-Ho-Kus Zip
Code is 07423.
General Information - In 1909, a station on the Erie Railroad. Includes
Wearimus. 1.8 sq. miles in area. Population: 1909-700; 1940-1,626; 1980-4,129;
Leonia became a Bergen County, N.J. borough organized December 6, 1894
(referendum December 5, 1894) from area taken from Ridgefield Township.
In 1895 a part of its area was transferred to Teaneck Township. Includes
or included Leonia Junction. Earlier called English Neighborhood.
Leonia Post Office - Leonia Post Office was established 30 June 1868 with
Cornelius D. Schor as the first Postmaster. The Leonia Post Office was discontinued
31 Mar 1921 and on 1 April 1921 it became an Independent Branch of the Hackensack
Post Office. Other early Leonia Postmasters included Philip P. Cluss (6
June 1889), William H. Eicks (10 March 1914), Millicent J. Eicks (27 June
1916), Grace B. Powers (3 July 1920) and John A. Culver (3 Jan 1921). The
Leonia Branch Zip Code is 07605.
General Information - In 1909 a station on the Northern Railroad of New
Jersey. Includes or included Leonia Junction. Earlier called English Neighborhood.
1.5 sq. miles in area. Population: 1909-1,000; 1940-5,763; 1980-8,027; 1990-8,365.
Little Ferry became a Bergen County, N.J. borough organized by referendum
September 18, 1894 and incorporated September 20, 1894 from area taken from
Lodi and New Barbardoes Townships. In 1917 a part of its area was transferred
to Teterboro Borough.
The name is derived from a horse drawn ferry which operated here about the
time of the Revolution. A brick making industry was established here in
The Gethsemane Cemetery on the east side of Liberty Street and the north
side of Route 46 in Little Ferry, was established in 1860 as a cemetery
for African-Americans. It now is a county-owned historic site.
Little Ferry Post Office - The Little Ferry Post Office was established
3 April 1873 with James Pickens as the first Postmaster. It was discontinued
31 March 1902 and on 1 April 1902 it became an Independent Station of Hackensack
Post Office. The Little Ferry Post Office was reestablished December 1908.
Other early Little Ferry postmasters included J. Irving Pickens (appointed
22 June 1896), John Kaufman, Jr. (11 Aug 1896), Edward F. Tukey (13 Nov
1897), John Kaufman (9 June 1900), William Fehrs (6 Sep 1913, Frederick
Knapp (30 Jan 1923) and Andrew Bauer (28 Feb 1928). The Little Ferry Zip
Code is 07643.
General Information - 1.5 sq. miles in area. Population: 1940-4,545; 1980-9,399;
Lodi Township was formed March 1, 1826 from area taken from New Barbadoes
Township. In 1840 a part of its area was transferred to Harrison Township
in Hudson County. In 1893 part of its area was transferred to Bergen Township.
In 1902 Lodi Township reabsorbed Bergen Township.
During and after the 1894 "borough boom," parts of Lodi Township's
area were transferred to Hasbrouck Heights Borough (August 2, 1894); Little
Ferry Borough (September 20, 1894); Lodi Borough (December 22, 1894); New
Barbadoes Township and Hackensack Commission (1896); Hasbrouck Heights Borough
(1905); Moonachie Borough (1910); Teterboro Borough (1917 and March 4, 1919);
and finally on November 15, 1935 its remaining area became South Hackensack
Township. Lodi Township mail was handled by the Hackensck Post Office.
Earlier called Renniesville after the Rennie family, who were running a
mill here before 1834. In 1882 the Township was a manufacturing center,
with grist mills, saw mills, a bleaching and dyeing factory, and the Lodi
Included a neighborhood called Colliconeck.
Lodi Borough, situated on the Saddle River, was incorporated December 22,
1894 (referendum December 21, 1894) as a Bergen County borough. In 1901
it acquired some area from Hasbrouck Heights Borough.
Lodi Post Office - Lodi was established as a Bergen County Post Office 10
April 1851 with William Greig as the first Postmaster. The Lodi Post Office
was discontinued 28 Feb 1914 to be a branch of Hackensack Post Office (1
March 1914). The Lodi Post Office was reestablished at a later date. Other
early Lodi Postmasters included David I. Ackerman (14 July 1853), William
Greig (again) (30 Jan 1862), William Greig, Jr. (26 Apr 1876), Stephenson
Massey (21 Mar 1879), George C. Mercer (1 Sep 1879), Hugh Riley (21 July
1893), James W. Mercer (20 July 1898), Andrew Mercer (21 Dec 1900). The
Lodi Zip Code is 07644.
General Information - In 1909, Lodi was a station on the New York, Susquehanna
and Western Railroad. Lodi is approximately 2.2 sq. miles in area. Population:
1909-4,500; 1940-11,552; 1970-25,213; 1980-23,956; 1990-22,355.
The area was first called New Barbadoes Neck by an early settler from
Barbadoes. Included in New Barbadoes Township until 1825, and part of Lodi
Township until 1840, when it was made a part of Hudson County. The area
was returned to Bergen County when it was incorporated February 19, 1852
as the Bergen County, N.J. Township of Union.
The Township of Lyndhurst was incorporated May 15, 1917 (referendum May
8, 1917), replacing Union Township. It took the name Lyndhurst from a settlement
here by that name, which was said to have been named in honor of Lord Lyndhurst,
a frequent visitor. Another theory is that the name was derived from the
town of Lyndhurst in England.
Includes or included sections called Kingsland, The Hill, The Hook, Pollack
town and South Rutherford. McKee & Harrison, makers of baby carriages
and velocipedes, ran a factory here in 1882.
Lyndhurst is a combination residential and industrial community. The former
"salt marsh" comprises about 20% of the township and includes
manufacturing plants and office complexes, plus a state environmental center
and one of the largest landfills in the State of New Jersey.
The Little Red Schoolhouse, a one-room school built in 1893 is at Riverside
and Fern Avenues.
Lyndhurst Post Office - The Lyndhurst Post Office was established 20 May
1882 with Edgar A. Roberts as the first Postmaster. It was discontinued
31 Aug 1902 and on 1 September 1902 it became Station No. 3 (Lyndhurst)
of the Rutherford Post Office. In September 1913 it became the Lyndhurst
Branch of the Rutherford Post Office, and in March 1931 it became an Independent
Branch. Other early Lyndhurst Postmasters included Charles M. Sanders (appointed
27 Nov 1882), George E. Taylor (11 May 1893), James Stinson (8 Dec 1893),
and Henry N. Stagmier (22 Dec 1898). Lyndhurst has a Zip Code of 07071 and
is today a Branch of the Rutherford Post Office.
General Information - In 1909 Lyndhurst was a station on the Delaware, Lackawanna
and Western Railroad. Lyndhurst Township is 4.72 sq. miles in area. Population:
1909-400; 1940-17,454; 1970-22,279; 1980-20,326; 1990-18,262.
Mahwah was an early Indian name for an area in the Ramapo Valley in Bergen
County, N.J. Also called, very early, Ramapo or Ramapough, and Hopper's.
Its locale was at the junction of several early transportation routes. The
name Mahwah is an Indian word supposedly meaning "smiling fields"
or "a meeting place," given to an Indian field in the vicinity.
Other early spellings include Maaeway, Mawe, Maweway, Mawewi, etc. Early
names for the area include Belle Grove, Hopper's, Hopperstown and Island
Church. Includes or included Ackermans Mills, Airmont, Bear Swamp, Cragmere,
Darlington, Halifax, Havemeyers Reservoir, Island Church, Masonicus, Mountainside
Farm, Oweno, Pulis Mills, Ramapo Farm, Stag Hill, and Wanamakers Mills.
The area was incorporated as Hohokus Township February 5, 1849. Mahwah Township
was incorporated November 15, 1944 (referendum November 7, 1944) replacing
The Ramapo Reformed Dutch/Lutheran Church was established here in 1750.
Early industry in the area included the nickel works of the Hopkins &
Dickinson Manufacturing Company located in the Darlington section, and the
American Brake Shoe & Foundry Co., established here in the early 1900s,
producers of railway brake shoes and man-hole covers.
Ramapo State College is located here on Ramapo Valley Road. The Old Station
Museum at 1871 Old Station Lane is housed in Mahwah's first railroad station,
built in 1871, now maintained and operated by the Mahwah Historical Society.
Mahwah Postal Service - Mahwah Post Office was established 7 Feb 1870 with
Andrew Hagerman as the first Postmaster. The name of the Post Office was
briefly changed 23 Jan 1884 to Oweno; it was changed back to Mahwah 18 Feb
1884. Other early postmasters included Garrett H. Van Horne (5 Dec 1877),
Henry B. Hagerman (5 Jan 1881), John Petry (16 Aug 1893), Henry B. Hagerman
(17 Apr 1897), and Walter D. Finch (19 Mar 1914). The Mahwah Zip Code is
General Information - In 1909 Mahwah was a station on the Erie Railroad.
Population: 1909-500; 1970-10,800; 1980-12,127; 1990-17,905.
Maywood became a Bergen County, N.J. borough organized by referendum
June 29, 1894, and incorporated June 30, 1894, from area taken from Midland
Township. On August 6, 1940 it acquired area from Paramus Borough.
Maywood Post Office - Maywood Post Office was established 10 Dec 1872 with
W. H. Brinkerhoff as the first Postmaster. The Maywood Post Office was discontinued
30 Apr 1902 and itbecame an Independent Station of Hackensack Post Office.
The Maywood Post Office was reestablished 1 March 1912, and was again discontinued
31 May 1921, with its mail handled by Hackensack Post Office. The Maywood
Post Office was once again reestablished at a later date. Other early Maywood
postmasters included Isaac J. Brinkerhoff (appointed 9 Jan 1873), John H.
Voorhis (7 May 1888), George M. Sipley (20 Sep 1897), Charles M. Berdan
(19 Jan 1900), Susie Speight (1 Mar 1912), and Susie S. Smith (19 Aug 1916).
Maywood toay has a Zip Code of 07607 and is a Branch of the Hackensack Post
General Information - In 1909 Maywood was a station on the New York, Susquehanna
and Western Railroad. Maywood is 1.3 sq. miles in area. Population: 1909-1,000;
1940-4,052; 1970-11,087; 1980-9,895; 1990-9,473.
Midland Park was incorporated as a Bergen County, N.J. borough September
6, 1894 (referendum September 4, 1894) from land taken from Franklin and
Ridgewood Townships. The borough was enlarged in April 1920, by annexing
a part of the Township of Franklin. By referendum on June 9, 1931 Midland
Park Borough acquired area from Wyckoff Township.
Earlier names for this locality include Lydecker's Mills, Van Riper's Mill,
Newtown, and Godwinville. The New Jersey Western Railroad, later called
the New Jersey Midland, began to run through this locality about 1871; Midland
Park took its name from this rail line.
Midland Park Post Office - Midland Park Post Office was established 18 March
1873 with Albert G. Hopper as the first Postmaster. Other early Midland
Park Postmasters included Lambert Snyder (appointed 17 Mar 1876), Charles
W. Van Ness (19 Feb 1880), John H. Post (11 May 1889), George Reyonar (13
Sep 1893), Abram Hengeveld (26 Feb 1894), Robert H. Wortendyke (25 April
1895), John H. Post (30 Apr 1897), and Thomas Post (29 Oct 1914).
General Information - In 1909 Midland Park was a station on the New York,
Susquehanna and Western Railroad. Includes or included the Goffle and Wortendyke.
1.3 sq. miles in area. Population: 1909-2,000; 1940-4,525; 1980-7,381; 1990-7,047.
Montvale became a Bergen County, N.J. borough formed August 31, 1894
(referendum August 30, 1894) from area taken from Washington and Orvil Townships.
On February 15, 1896 Montvale acquired part of Orvil Township. In 1906 it
acquired some additional area from Orvil and Washington Townships, and in
1912 Montvale acquired some area from Upper Saddle River Borough. On May
20, 1959 part of Montvale's area was transferred to River Vale Township,
and on December 9 and 14, 1965 parts were transferred to and from Upper
Saddle River Borough. Includes or included the neighborhoods of Blue Hills,
Chestnut Ridge and Upper Montvale.
Montvale Post Office - Montvale Post Office was established 5 Dec 1871 with
James Demarest as the first Postmaster. Other early Montvale Postmasters
include Garret F. Hering (appointed 6 Feb or 30 June 1882), John W. Allison
(22 Mar 1901), Alfred M. Crotty (3 Oct 1901), Paul Pratt (28 Aug 1902),
Alfred M. Crotty (14 June 1904), Henry Shearer (26 Jan 1905), John M. Onderdonk
(7 Feb 1906), George K. Fleming (10 Feb 1914), Gustav H. Rottgardt (2 Feb
1915), Herman Kuhn (15 Nov 1921), Frederick C. Blossfield (1 Dec 1928),
and Madge B. Vanderpoel (18 Oct 1930). The Montvale Zip Code is 07645.
General Information - A station on the New Jersey and New York Railroad.
4 sq. miles in area. Population: 1909-900; 1940-1,342; 1980-7,318; 1990-6,946.
An area near Rutherford, Moonachie was organized as a Bergen County,
N.J. borough April 11, 1910 (referendum May 3, 1910), formerly part of Lodi
Township. In 1917 part of its area was transferred to Teterboro Borough.
At least two suggestions exist for the meaning of the Indian word: (1) from
Monachie, the chief of a tribe of Indians who earlier lived in the region,
and (2) from monachgen, meaning ground hog, or munhacke, meaning badger.
Earlier known as Peach Island because peaches were grown here. Includes
or included a neighborhood called Cedar Swamp. A hotel called the Half-Way
House was located here; it marked the midpoint on the Paterson Plank Road
from Paterson to Jersey City. Various early spellings include Munaghia.
Moonachie Postal Services - Mail for Moonachie was at one time handled by
the Wood-Ridge and Little Ferry Post Offices. Mail for Moonachie today is
handled by the Rutherford Post Office, through its Moonachie Branch, with
a Zip Code of 07074.
General Information - 1.6 sq. miles in area. Population: 1940-1,554; 1980-2,706;
A community in old Hackensack Township and Palisades Township. Created
as New Milford Borough 11 March 1922 (and verified by referendum 18 Apr
1922), replacing Palisades Township.
New Milford Post Office - A New Milford Post Office was established 27 Feb
1828 with James R. Demarest as its first Postmaster. This post office was
discontiued 12 May 1829 (or 27 Feb 1832). On 8 March 1887 the Spring Valley
Post Office was changed to New Milford Post Office, with John B. H. Voorhis
as Postmaster. Other early New Milford Postmasters included Nicholas A.
Terhune (21 Jan 1898), Edward V. Bird (23 Nov 1914), Nicholas A. Terhune
(16 Feb 1920), and Margarethe Grund (3 Mar 1923).
General Information - New Milford includes or included the neighborhoods
of New Bridge, Peetzburg, River Edge, Manor, and Roslyn Park. Note that
there was also a section of Oradell Borough called "New Milford."
2.2 sq. miles in area. Population: 1940-3,215; 1970-19,149; 1980-16,876;
A Bergen County, N.J. borough organized by referendum March 9, 1896 and
incorporated March 11, 1896, from area taken from Union Township.
The Schuyler Copper Mines were discovered within the borders of what is
now North Arlington.
North Arlington Post Office - The NOrth Arlington was established as Station
No. 7 (Arlington) in Hudson County about 1919. It became North Arlington
Station 15 August 1932 and ther North Arlington Branch in October 1936.
The North Arlington Zip Code is 07031.
General Information - 2.5 sq. miles in area. Population: 1940-9,904; 1970-18,096;
Northvale is a Bergen County, N.J. borough which was incorporated March
15, 1916 (referendum April 4, 1916), replacing Harrington Township. In 1923
part of its area was transferred to Rockleigh Borough.
Northvale Post Office - On 16 Nov 1887 the Neuvy Post Office was changed
to Northvale. Early Northvale postmasters include Henry Campora (appointed
16 Nov 1887) and Alfred Verde (25 June 1920). The Northvale Zip Code is
General Information - Northvale is 1.3 sq. miles in area. In 1909 Northvale
was a station on the Northern Railroad of New Jersey. Population: 1909-500;
1940-1,159; 1980-5,046; 1990-4,563.
Norwood is a Bergen County, N.J. borough which was organized and incorporated
on March 14, 1905 from area taken from Harrington Township.
Norwood Post Office - The Norwood Post Office was established 13 Jan 1868
with Peter Kline as the first Postmaster. Other early postmasters included
David Naugle (28 Feb 1870), John J. Naugle (30 Apr 1872), N. Curtis White
(10 Feb 1876), James B. Mandeville (12 Feb 1876), Tunis J. Harring (4 Sep
1878), William H. Cartland (23 Aug 1880), Margaret A. Cartland (25 May 1906),
Demarest Van Blarcom (17 Nov 1911), Joseph E. Sloat (9 Dec 1912), Stephen
A. Hering (19 Dec 1919), Emma J. Fogel (8 July 1921), William P. Lovett
(16 Sep 1924), and Lillian B. Murberg (6 Feb 1926). Apparently the Norwood
Post Office was briefly discontinued 9 Mar 1906, with its mail going to
Northvale, but the order to discontinue was rescinded in May 1906 and the
Norwood Post Office was back in business. The Norwood Zip Code is 07648.
General Information - A station on the Northern Railroad of New Jersey.
2.9 sq. miles in area. Population: 1909-450; 1940-1,512; 1980-4,413; 1990-4,858.
Oakland is a Bergen County, N.J. borough which was incorporated on April
8, 1902 from area taken from Franklin Township. Early names for this vicinity
include Iapough (or Yaw-paw), an Indian name, the Ponds (the Panne), Scrub
Oaks, and Bushville. For about four years during the Revolution, it was
the county seat, after the British burned the courthouse and jail at Hackensack
in 1780. The Ponds Dutch Reformed Church was established here about 1710.
Oakland Post Office - Oak Post Office was established 15 Jan 1872 with Jacob
A. Terhune as the first Postmaster. Other early Oakland Postmasters included
David C. Bush (appointed 7 Dec 1885), John J. Mowerson (11 June 1889), David
C. Bush (1 Aig 1893), William C. Stout (21 July 1897), and David C. Bush
(24 Sep 1914). The Oakland Zip Code is 07436.
General Information - A station on the New York, Susquehanna and Western
Railroad. 9.1 sq. miles in area. Population: 1940-932; 1970-14,420; 1980-13,443;
Old Tappan is a Bergen County, N.J. borough incorporated October 18,
1894 (referendum October 16, 1894) from area taken from Harrington Township.
On April 23, 1896 additional area was acquired from Harrington Township.
Mail for Old Tappan was at one time handled by the Westwood Post Office
and the Tappan (Rockland County), NY Post Office. Old Tappan is today a
Branch Post Office of The Westwood Post Office and they share the Zip Code
General Information - Old Tappan is 3.88 sq. miles in area. Population:
1940-609; 1980-4,168; 1990-4,254.
This Bergen County, N.J. locality was incorporated as Delford Borough
March 8, 1894; on November 12, 1920 (referendum November 2, 1920), the borough's
name was changed to Oradell.
The name "Oradell" is said to signify "margin of a valley."
A station on the New Jersey and New York Railroad (Erie System). There was
a section of Oradell Borough called "New Milford." The locality
was within the early areas called Kinderkamack and Steenrapie (Stony Arabia).
Includes or included areas called the Flatts, The Manor, and Oradell Heights.
Oradell Postal Services - Oradell Post Office was established 11 June 1872
with Daniel I. Demarest as the first Postmaster. Other early Oradell Postmasters
included Adolphus Landmann (appointed 4 May 1888), E. Blenckstone (31 Mar
1897), Daniel Demarest (19 Apr 1897), James Searle (29 June 1903), Edmund
Maples (23 July 1909), Adolphus Lanmann (1 Sep 1913), William F. Landmann
(1 May 1914), George F. Moore (18 May 1914), Joseph C. Keck (30 Apr 1928)
, and Luther J. Higinson (1 Mar 1929). The Oradell Zip Code is 07649.
General Information - 2.7 sq. miles in area. Population: 1909-800; 1940-2,802;
Palisades Park is Bergen County, N.J. borough organized March 22, 1899
from area taken from Ridgefield Township. A portion of its area was annexed
by Fort Lee Borough in April 1909. Includes or included Morsemere.
The amusement park by this name - Palisades Amusement Park, familiarly known
as "Palisades Park" - was actually located in Cliffside Park,
Palisades Park Post Office - The Palisades Park Post Office was established
28 December 1889 with John Brinkerhoff as the first Postmaster. Other early
Palisades Park Postmasters included Samuel S. Edsall (appointed 30 June
1892), John Backstrom (23 July 1894), William Lunstedt (11 Sep 1901), John
J. Roche (18 May 1914), and Joseph R. Forrest (23 June 1922). The Palisades
Park Zip Code is 07650.
General Information - A station on the Northern Railroad of New Jersey (Erie
System). 1.3 sq. miles in area. Poplation: 1909-1,100; 1940-8,141; 1970-13,351;
Paramus Precinct was a large undefined geographic area within the jurisdiction
of the Paramus Reformed Dutch Church, which was established here in 1725.
The name supposedly was derived from an Indian word "Parampseapus"
or "Peremessing" meaning , perhaps,"where there is worthwhile
(or fertile) land" or "place of wild turkeys." "Seapus"
or "sipus" is said to mean water, so the name may mean "turkey
river." The stream known today as the Saddle River was also called
"Peramseapus." See various early spellings below, including "Pyramus.".
Includes or included neighborhoods named Arcola, Bergen Place, Hamburgh,
Red Mills, Spring Valley, and Zabriskie's Mill.
Paramus / Pyramus Post Office - A Bergen County Post Office named Paramus
was established 28 Aug 1797, along with Hackensack, one of Bergen County's
first post offices. Both Hackensack and Paramus probably shared as their
first Postmaster Archibald Campbell. The Pyramus Post Office was established
(or replaced "Paramus") 16 February 1839 with Edward B. Force
as Postmaster, but was discontinued under that spelling 5 February 1840
(or 1846). Other early Paramus Postmasters included Abraham Oldis (13 Jan
1841), and Cornelius D. Taylor (6 July 1843).
Paramus was incorporated as a Bergen County, N.J. borough March 2, 1922
(referendum April 4, 1922), from Midland Township. On April 26, 1939 Paramus
acquired some area from Emerson Borough. On August 6, 1940 Paramus treanferred
area to Maywood Borough. On January 1, 1954 parts transferred to and from
River Edge Borough.
The Paramus Historical and Preservation Society (and its Schoolhouse Museum)
is located at 650 East Glen Ave., Ridgewood, NJ 07450. The Easton Tower
County Historic Site is located at Red Mill Road, Route 4 and Saddle River
Road, in Paramus. The Washington Spring Garden in Van Saun County Park at
216 Forest Avenue in Paramus, features the spring reported to have been
used by the Continental Army and General George Washington in 1780.
Paramus Post Office - At one time, at least parts of Paramus had mail handled
by the Ridgewood and Hackensack Post Offices. The Paramus Zip Code is 07652.
General Information - Paramus Borough is 11.8 sq. miles in area. Population:
1940-3,688; 1970-28,381; 1980-26,474; 1990-25,067.
This locality was earlier called Pascack. Park Ridge became a Bergen
County, N.J. borough organized by referendum May 14, 1894 and incorporated
May 15, 1894 from Washington Township. On July 15, 1929 Park Ridge acquired
area from River Vale Township. On January 1, 1956 it exchanged portions
with Woodcliff Lake Borough. On November 26, 1956 it exchanged parts to
and from Washington Township. Park Ridge exchanged parts with Hillsdale
Borough (April 1, 1958) and Woodcliff Lake Borough (Jujy 1, 1958). On September
1, 1958 Park Ridge acquired area from Washington Township.
John Campbell started a wampum factory here shortly after the Revolution.
The Van Riper Bobbin Mill here burned in October 1875. A second bobbin mill
was established here by Albert Wortendyke in November 1877. The Pascack
Reformed Church was established here in 1812.
The Pascack Historical Society has its museum here, housed in a former Congregational
Church built about 1873 at 19 Ridge Road (it features the world's only wampum
drilling machine). The Wortendyke Barn, at 13 Pascack Road, is a county-owned
mid-18th centrury Dutch-American barn now housing a collection of early
farm equipment. The Park Ridge Railroad Station, at 37 Colony Avenue, built
in 1871 is now restored and used as a museum and civic center.
Park Ridge Postal Service - The Park Ridge Post Office (sometimes written
Parkridge Post Office) was established 18 July 1870 with John A. Blauvelt
as the first Postmaster. Other early Park Ridge Postmasters included Lionel
M. Warner (27 Oct 1879), Theodore G. Volger (18 Jan 1895), James H. Weild
(26 Apr 1897), Mary D. Weild (28 Jan 1901), George C. Reed (28 Feb 1902),
Erving Van Houten (3 Mar 1911), Alexander H. Sibbald (4 Feb 1915), and George
C. Reed (31 Aug 1922). The Park Ridge Zip Code is 07656.
General Information - A station on the New York and New Jersey Railroad
(Erie System). 2.3 sq. miles in area. Population: 1909-1,300; 1940-2,519;
The community was called "Ramsey's" after the railroad station
here, which itself was named after Peter J. Ramsey, an early landowner in
the area. This area was also known, earlier, as New Success, and Mount Prospect.
John Y. Dater established a carriage factory here in 1857, which was later
run by M. B. DeYoe. Harrison Bull estabished a carriage factory here in
1867. John Y. Dater began the publication of The Ramsey Journal in 1892,
a weekly newspaper supplying local news, which continued publication until
the latter half of the 20th century.
Ramsey was incorporated as a Bergen County, N.J. borough March 10, 1908.
In 1921 Ramsey acquired area from Waldwick Borough. In 1925 Ramsey set off
area to Saddle River Borough.
Ramsey's Old Stone House Museum was restored by and is managed by the Ramsey
Ramsey Post Office - Ramsey's Post Office was established 9 Feb 1855 with
Albert G. Lydecker as the first Postmaster. The name was changed to Ramsey
12 Aug 1889. Other early Ramsey Postmasters included John Y. Dater (2 Aug
1856), Jacob Valentine (22 Nov 1862), William J. Pulis (22 Jan 1864), George
I. Ryerson (22 Jan 1868), William J. Pulis (2 July 1869), Albert W. Conklin
(12 Aug 1889), Henry J. Ryerson (18 Apr 1893), William H. Pulis (10 June
1897), Henry Bell (6 Apr 1914), Franklin Davies (9 Jan 1922), and Henry
R. Parvin (5 Aug 1922). Ramsey's Zip Code is 07446.
General Information - A station on the main line of the Erie Railroad (and
later, operated as Conrail and New Jersey Transit). 5.9 sq. miles in area.
Population: 1909-1,600; 1940-3,566; 1970-12,571; 1980-12,899; 1990-13,228.
This area was known, earlier, as English Neighborhood. The English Neighborhood
Dutch Reformed Church (organized July 1, 1770) was taken down and a new
church (probably incorporating stones from the first building) built here
in 1793, on a plot of land purchased from Cornelius Vreeland. Ridgefield
included the settlements or neighborhoods of Coytesville, Fenwick, Little
Ferry, Ridgefield Park, Shady Side, Taylorsville,and Walton.
Ridgefield Township was created a Bergen County, N.J. Township on March
22, 1871 from area taken from Hackensack Township. On May 26, 1892 part
of its area went to Ridgefield Borough. On June 15 1892 part went to Ridgefield
Park Borough within Ridgefield Township. Over the next few years, parts
of Ridgefield Township were transferred to Bogota Borough (November 17,
1894); Leonia Borough (December 6, 1894); Undercliff Borough (December 7,
1894); Fairview Borough (December 19, 1894); Cliffside Park Borough (January
16, 1895); Teaneck Township (1895); Overpeck Township (1897); Englewood
City (1899); and Palisades Park Borough (1899). On March 29, 1904 Ridgefield
Township became Fort Lee Borough.
Ridgefield Borough was organized and incorporated on May 26, 1892 from area
taken from Ridgefield Township.
Ridgefield Post Office -- Ridgefield Post Office was established 24 February
1875 with Charles H. Lozier as the first Postmaster. Other early Ridgefield
Postmasters included William B. Christie (appointed 25 May 1877), William
G. Christie (8 June 1877), John Brinkerhoff (21 Mar 1879), John B. Christie
(11 Apr 1888), William B. Pugh (16 June 1891), Marion A. Lemm (5 Feb 1897),
Elliott Underwood (23 Jan 1900), Henry L. Rowe (22 Mar 1907), George H.
S. Rowe (16 Dec 1907), James L. Ackerman (27 July 1914), Eleanor A. Cade
(8 Sep 1915), James J. Conor (16 Dec 1915), and Arthur F. Jahn (1 Feb 1924).
General Information -- Ridgefield Borough is 2.7 sq. miles in area. A station
on the Northern Railroad of New Jersey (Erie System). Population: 1909-800;
1940-5,271; 1970-11,308; 1980-10,294; 1990-9,996.
Ridgefield Park was formed as a village June 15, 1892 (referendum June
6, 1892) within Ridgefield Township. In 1897 Overpeck Township was formed
coextensive from Ridgefield Township District Board of Education. On May
3, 1921 Ridgefield Park Village acquired area from Bogota Borough and Teaneck
Township. On June 1, 1926 Ridgefield Park Village acquired additional area
from Teaneck Township. Includes Westview.
Ridgefield Park Township was incorporated May 31, 1938 as a Bergen County,
N.J. township, replacing Overpeck Township. No longer in existence.
In 1641 the Achter Col colony, little more than a trading post, was established
here; it was burned to the ground by Indians in 1643.
Ridgefield Park Post Office - The Ridgefield Park Post Office was established
18 February 1887 with Edward S. Carr as the first Postmaster. Other early
Ridgefield Park Postmasters included Conrad W. Mergler (appointed 30 Nov
1889), Edward Schwind (4 Nov 1893), George W. Lowe (23 July 1897 or1899),
Frank E. Smith (1 Sep 1921), William O. Maschle (15 Jan 1924), and Hilding
W. Hammarlund (31 July 1928). The Ridgefield Park Post Office was discontinued
31 Jan 1902, and on 1 February 1902 it became a Station of the Hackensack
Post Office. The Ridgefield Park Post Office was re-established 1 September
General Information - Stations on the New York, Susquehanna and Western
Railroad and the West Shore Railroad. 2 sq. miles in area. Population: 1909-5,500;
1940-11,277; 1970-13,390; 1980-12,738; 1990-12,454.
Ridgewood Township was created March 30, 1876 from area taken from Franklin
Township. On September 6, 1894 part of its area went to Midland Park Borough
and on September 14, 1894 part went to Glen Rockl Borough. On November 20,
1894 Ridgewood Township's municipal government was replaced by Ridgewood
All or part of its area was earlier known as Godwinville (on the west) and
Paramus (on the east). Included Ridgewood Park. About 1860 residents began
to campaign for the adoption of the name "Ridgewood" for the community;
the name was adopted about 1866 by the Erie Railway Co. Earlier names for
the locality included Paramus Flats and Godwinville.
The Village of Ridgewood was incorporated November 20, 1894, replacing the
municipal government of Ridgewood Township. The Township continued coextensive
as a district for the Board of Education. In 1902 Ridgewood Village (and
Ridgewood Township) acquired area from Orvil Township. In 1915 area was
transferred to Orvil Township. In 1925, Ridgewood Village acquired area
from Franklin Township. On February 9, 1971 Ridgewood Village acquired area
from Washington Township. On May 28, 1974 it acquired area from Ho-Ho-Kus
Ridgewood Post Office - Ridgewood Post Office was established 30 March 1865
with Benjamin F. Robinson as the first Postmaster. It was discontinued 25
Aug 1866 and reestablished 19 July 1867. Other early Ridgewood Postmasters
include Garret G. Van Dien (19 July 1867), Rachel B. Van Dien (17 Nov 1884),
John T. Couse (14 Dec 1885), Adolph Huttemeyer (29 Apr 1889), John F. Cruse
(29 Sep 1893), Roger M. Bridgman (1 Oct 1897), George M. Ockford (24 Feb
1914), Frank M. Stevens (28 Jan 1920), Charles R. Stoneall (26 June 1922),
Richard T. Wilson (10 Mar 1931).
General Information - In 1909 Ridgewood was a station on the Erie Railroad
(main line). 5.9 sq. miles in area. Population: 1909-5,000; 1940-14,948;
1970-27,547; 1980-25,208; 1990-24,152.
River Edge was incorporated as a Bergen County, N.J. borough under the
name of "Riverside" July 18, 1894. Because of mail confusion with
Riverside in Hunterdon County, NJ, the name of the Bergen County borough
was changed to River Edge on December 1, 1930. On January 1, 1954 River
Edge Borough exchanged parts with Paramus Borough. On November 1, 1961 parts
were transferred to and from Hackensack City.
Early names for the area were Demarest's Landing and Old Bridge. Includes
or included sections called Cherry Hill, New Bridge Landing, North Hackensack,
Clarendon Hills, and Steenrapie. PreRevolutionary mills were operated here
by Ackermans and Zabriskies. Flour ground at the mills and pig and bar iron
from the Ramapo Mountains was shipped by river sloops to New York City.
In November 1776 Washington led a garrison of soldiers from Fort Lee across
the wooden "new bridge" spanning the Hackensack River here, fleeing
the attack of British and Hessian troops.
On July 18, 1895 a tornado ripped through the Cherry Hill section.
A residential community, River Edge is the home of the Bergen County Historical
Society, whose headquarters are at New Bridge Landing Historic Park. This
park boasts several buildings on the National Register of Historical Places,
including the Steuben House (part built about 1713), the two-room 1679 Demarest
House, and the Campbell-Christie House (moved to this site from New Milford
River Edge Post Office - River Edge Post Office (sometimes written Riveredge
Post Office) was established 18 July 1870 with Peter V. B. Demarest as the
first Postmaster. Other early River Edge postmasters included Albert L.
Bogert (25 March 1890), William S. Brown (10 July 1907), Edmund A. Kenny
(26 Jan 1911), and Elsie Brown (24 Nov 1923).
General Information - A station on the New York and New Jersey Railroad
(Erie System). 1.89 sq. miles in area. Population: 1909-500; 1940-3,287;
1970-12,850; 1980-11,111; 1990-10,603.
River Vale became a Bergen County, N.J. township incorporated April 30,
1906 (12 June 1906 was the date New Jersey Gov. Edward C. Stokes signed
the law creating the Township of River Vale) from area taken from the townships
of Hillsdale and Washington. On July 15, 1929 part of its area was transferred
to Park Ridge Borough. On May 20, 1959 River Vale Township acquired area
from Montvale Borough.
Also found written Rivervale; River Vale (two words, each capitalized) is
the official spelling of the township name; the accepted title of the road
running through the community is Rivervale Road (one word). Before 1841
the area was part of Harrington Township.
The Baylor Massacre occurred here on September 27 & 28, 1778, when the
Third Continental Dragoons, under the command of Col. George Baylor, were
surprised in a night attack by Brisitish forces. Remains of five of the
Dragoons were discovered in 1967 and the site was dedicated as a county
park, Baylor Park.
River Vale included the neighborhood of Eastwood (1894), which became a
borough, but is now no longer in existence.
Includes the area west of the Hackensack River along Rivervale Road earlier
known as "the Overkill Neighborhood" (over the kill from Tappan),
later called simply Over Kill. At least part of the area now included in
River Vale was known, about the mid 1800s, as Washington Ville. Many of
the buildings on the grounds of the Edgewood Country Club were part of the
mansion and grounds of Julius Kessler, who made his fortune importing whisky
from Ireland around the turn of the century.
Earlier an agricultural community, after WWII River Vale was developed into
a residential community. The warehouse located across from the intersection
of Rivervale Road and Prospect Avenue was constructed in 1940 as an ice
arena and was home of a semi-professional ice hockey team, the Jersey Skeeters.
The Baylor Massacre Burial Site, a county-owned park on Red Oak Drive at
River Vale and Old Tappan Roads in River Vale, marks the burial site of
Continental Dragoons slain and buried here in tanning vats in September
1778, during the Revolutionary War.
River Vale Postal Service - River Vale Post Office (sometimes written Rivervale
Post Office) was extablished 12 June 1871, replacing the former Greenwood
Post Office. Early River Vale postmasters included Isaac Onderdonk (appointed
12 June 1871), William F. Kent (15 Oct 1872), Robert A. Drake (4 June 1886),
and Jacob Z. Bogert (12 Dec 1891). The River Vale Post Office was discontinued
14 Jan 1902 (or 31 January 1902) with its mail to be handled R.F.D. (Rural
Free Delivery) by Westwood Post Office. The River Vale Post Office was later
General Information - 4.4 sq. miles or 2,660 acres in area. Population:
1909-415; 1940-1,112; 1950-1,600; 1980-9,489; 1990-9,410.
By 1871 what would become Rochelle Park was Road District Number 16 of
Midland Township. In 1922 Paramus separated from Midland Township and by
referendum on November 5, 1929, to avoid confusion with another Bergen County
community, Midland Park, Midland Township was officially renamed the Township
of Rochelle Park. The name Rochelle Park had unofficially been used for
the community since 1870 when the railroad named the depot here "Rochelle
From 1927 until 1931 Trautwein's Airport was located here. The Arcola Pool
opened here on May 30, 1929. A station on the New York, Susquehanna and
Western Railroad (earlier called Midland Railroad, after which Midland Township
Rochelle Park Post Office - Earlier Rochelle Station Post Office, the Rochelle
Park Post Office was a Bergen County Post Office by 1873. It was discontinued
30 Sep 1880, and reestablished 21 Feb 1881. Another Bergen County Post Office,
Arcola, was discontinued and changed (or added) to Rochelle Park 13 Mar
1888. Early Rochelle Park postmasters included Martin O. Ramsey (appointed
28 Mar 1873), William J. Sprigg (16 Aug 1878), Peter H. Ackerman (21 Oct
1881), Daniel S. MacMullen (7 Dec 1885), Henry Schnakenberg (22 Jan 1915),
Ralph D. Childs (14 Dec 1922), Josephine Michel (29 Nov 1926), and Charles
Roeltgen (1 Mar 1927).
General Information - A residential community, Rochelle Park Township is
1.4 sq. miles in area. Population: 1909-500; 1922-about 1,000; 1940-2,511;
1960-6,119; 1980-5,603; 1990-5,587.
A Bergen County, N.J. borough incorporated March 13, 1923 (referendum
April 10, 1923) from a part of the Borough of Northvale. Rockleigh's area
was at one time part of Harrington Township. Formerly called East Northvale.
Included the locality of Skunk Hollow.
Rockleigh Postal Service - Rockleigh's mail was earlier handled by the Northvale
and Westwood Post Offices. Today, Rockleigh is a Branch of the Northvale
Post Office and they share a Zip Code of 07647.
General Information - 1 sq. mile in area. Population: 1940-79; 1980-192;
Organized as a Bergen County, N.J. borough September 21, 1881 from Union
Township and enlarged June 10, 1890 by acquiring additional area from Union
Township. Rutherford was Bergen County's first borough. The name was given
in honor of a resident, John Rutherfurd, who in 1808 established an estate
here named Edgerston Manor (after the family ancestral home in Scotland)
and who had been elected to the U.S. Senate in 1791.
By 1680, the area was part of two huge land patents, one granted to Major
Nathaniel Kingsland and the other to Capt. John Berry. Because these men
were from the Island of Barbadoes, the area was named New Barbadoes and
New Barbadoes Neck (modern Union Avenue marks the approximate dividing line
of these two patents).
In 1857 Floyd Tomkins, a land developer, purchased 100 acres of farmland
for building purposes, marking the beginning of modern Rutherford. A Rutherford
mansion, Iviswold Castle (now the main building of Fairleigh Dickinson University),
copied after a medieval French chateau, was so authentic that several early
movies were filmed there, including "The Three Musketeers," "Mark
of Zorro," and "Count of Monte Cristo."
The Rutherford area was earlier called Boiling Springs, Sanford's Spring,
North Belleville and Rutherfurd Park.
Rutherford Postal Service - Established 10 July 1867 the Post Office name
here was at first Rutherfurd Park; a misspelling changed the form to Rutherford
Park; and on 14 February 1876 the word "Park" was dropped from
the name. The first Postmaster was Richard H. Barrows, and other early Rutherford
Postmasters included James Raymond Collerd (appointed 14 Feb 1876), William
H. Stevens, Jr. (16 May 1881), Jacob G. Van Riper (13 May 1885), Charles
Burrows (18 June 1889), Garrabrant R. Alyea (24 Jan 1894), Charles Burrows
(1 Feb 1898), William H. Mac Kay (28 Feb 1907), T. M. Buckles (19 Aug 1911),
S. Dana Ely (10 Jan 1916), Reid Howell (31 May 1922), and Remington E. Rose
(10 Mar 1931). Rutherford's Zip Code is 07070.
General Information - A station on the Erie Railroad main line (now Conrail).
2.6 sq. miles in area. Population: 1909-7,000; 1940-15,466; 1970-20,802;
1980- 19,068; 1990-17,790.
A Township in Bergen County, N.J. incorporated November 8, 1955 replacing
Saddle River Township.
The first ordinance passed by the Township Committee of the Township of
Saddle River was dated April 10, 1895 (it provided for tax rebates for owners
of wagons and carts).
Saddle Brook Postal Services - The Saddle Brook Zip Code is 07663.
General Information - Saddle Brook is approximately 2.69 sq. miles in area.
Population: 1940-3,169; 1970-15,098; 1980-14.084; 1988-13,726; 1990-13,296.
Saddle River -- the river -- itself had several Indian names: Peramseapus,
Rerakanes, Wieremus, Warepeake, Wawpack Run, Tackamack. As early as 1682
it was known as "Saddle River," believed to have been named by
two Scotsmen, Capt. Matthew Nicoll and Richard Stillwell, after "Sadle
Burn" in Argyllshire, Scotland. At a location within the bounds of
present-day Upper Saddle River Borough, the Saddle River splits into the
West Fork and the Tackamack. The Tackamack further north in Upper Saddle
River Borough splits into the Middle Fork and Pine Brook or East Fork (Oost
Val). The West Fork portion was earlier called Mactoktemach (1774), Machecamach
(1781) and Machomack Brook (1787).
Saddle River Township was an area of Bergen County including part of what
later became Passaic County. There seem to be conflicting dates given for
this township. It was called a "Precinct" before 1737. Snyder
records that it was mentioned on March 20, 1716 in the Bergen Co. Freeholder's
minutes. One source states that in 1737 it was created Saddle River Township,
from area taken from New Barbadoes Township. In 1771 or 1772 part of its
territory was set off to form Franklin Township. In 1797 part of its area
went to Pompton Township. On February 21, 1798 Saddle River Township was
incorporated. A large part of the area of Saddle River Township became part
of Passaic County when that county was formed by Act of the New Jersey Legislature
on February 7, 1837 and in 1837 part of its area went to Manchester Township
in Passaic County.
On September 14, 1894 part of its area was set off to Glen Rock Borough.
On December 22, 1894, part of its area was transferred to Lodi Borough.
On January 2, 1895, some of its area went to Wallington Borough. In 1896
part was set off to Garfield Borough; in 1916 and 1917 parts went to East
Paterson Borough. In 1924 part went to Fair Lawn Borough. On November 8,
1955 Saddle River Township became Saddle Brook Township.
east of Allendale was called Saddle River long before it was officially
set aside as a borough. This "Saddle River" was geographically
separate from Saddle River Township.
The Saddle River Reformed Dutch Church was organized here as early as 1784.
The community was organized as the Borough of Saddle River by referendum
November19, 1894 and incorporated November 22, 1894 from area taken from
Orvil Township. On March 1 and May 1 of 1895, and also at a later date (possibly
1897?), and in 1903 and 1910 additional area was transferred from Orvil
Township. In 1925 parts were transferred from Waldwick and Ramsey Boroughs.
Saddle River Postal Services - The Saddle River Post Office was established
11 March 1852, with Henry Esler as the first Postmaster. Other early Saddle
River Postmasters included John G. Esler (25 Nov 1884), Garret H. Winters
(18 Sep 1885), John N. Leamon (7 Aug 1888), William F. Barkham (25 Sep 1889),
Francis H. Storms (18 Apr 1893), and John G. De Baun (19 Apr 1897). The
Saddle River Zip Code is 07458.
General Information - Saddle River Borough is 4.9 sq. miles in area. Population:
1909-1,000; 1940-816; 1980-2,763; 1990-2,950.
An area in Bergen County, N.J. incorporated as South Hackensack Township
November 15, 1935 (referendum November 5, 12935) replacing Lodi Township.
General Information - South Hackensack Township is .5 sq. mile in area.
Population: 1940-1,241; 1980-2,229; 1990-2,106.
Created a Bergen County, N.J. township February 19, 1895 from area taken
from Englewood and Ridgefield Townships and Bogota and Leonia Boroughs On
May 3, 1921 and on June 1, 1926 parts of its area were transferred to Overpeck
The name Teaneck is of uncertain origin, probably of Dutch origin, with
possible Indian influence. The Dutch "Tiene Neck" probably meant
"neck where there are willows" (from the Dutch "tene"
meaning willow; see also Tenafly).
Earlier called New Hackensack. Teaneck includes or included Glenwood Park,
Glenpointe, Nordhoff, Phelps Manor (and Phelps Manor Estates), Roemer Woods,
The Strand, and West Englewood.
Bergen County Historical Society historic site markers within Teaneck commemmorate
a 1780 Revolutionary War encampment (Teaneck Rd. & Cedar Lane); the
Brinkerhoff-Demarest House, built c. 1735 (at 493 Teaneck Rd.; one of the
township's seven historic sandstone houses); and the Lutheran Church site
and cemetery, c. 1716 (River Rd. & Maitland St.; associated with the
Van Buskirk family). The most famous resident and largest landholder was
Hon. William Walter Phelps, lawyer, U.S. Congressman, Ambassador to Germany,
and Judge. His huge house, known as "The Grange" stood on the
site of today's municipal complex.
One of the three campuses of Fairleigh Dickinson University (largest private
university in New Jersey) is at Teaneck.
Teaneck Postal Service - The Teaneck Post Office was establiahed as an Independent
Branch of the Hackensack Post Office 1 March 1928. Teaneck became a regular
Post Office 1 July 1936, with James J. Allen as Postmaster. The Teaneck
Zip Code is 07666.
Click on the following for the Teaneck
General Information - Teaneck Township is 5.9 sq. miles in area. Primarily
residential. Population: 1895-1,895; 1900-768; 1910-2,082; 1920-4,192; 1940-25,275;
1970-42,355; 1980-39,007; 1990-37,825 (Teaneck is the most populous town
in Bergen County).
Incorporated as a Bergen County, N.J. borough January 24, 1894 (referendum
January 23, 1894) from area taken from Palisades Township. In 1897 it acquired
additional area from Palisades Township. On December 31, 1970 parts were
exchanged with Cresskill Borough.
The name is from the Dutch "t'eene vallei (or vlij)," meaning
"at a meadow" or "willow meadows" (from the Dutch "tene,"
meaning "willow" and Dutch fly/vly/vley meaning meadow or swamp).
Included Mount Clinton.
Tenafly Postal Service - In 1861 the locality was served by the North Englewood
post office; on 13 June 1865 the name was changed to Tenafly Post Office.
Early Tenafly postmasters included Garret Huyler (appointed 13 June 1865),
Joseph W. Craig (16 Nov 1874), William G. Jellison (11 May 1889), Alfred
Jarvis (18 Apr 1893), John H. DeMott (11 Feb 1901), Alexander B. Roberts
(10 Feb 1905), and William F. Bodecker (24 Feb 1914). The Tenafly Zip Code
General Information - A station on The Northern Railroad of New Jersey (later
Erie System). Teanick is about 4.6 sq. miles in area. Population: 1909-2,450;
1940-7,413; 1970-14,827; 1980-13,552; 1990-13,326.
Incorporated as a Bergen County, N.J. borough on March 26, 1917 from
land taken from the boroughs of Moonachie and Little Ferry and the township
of Lodi. The borough was enlarged in 1918 by the addition of area annexed
from Hasbrouck Heights Borough. On March 4, 1919 it acquired area from Lodi
Township. The name Teterboro was changed in 1937 to Bendix Borough, and
changed back to Teterboro Borough on June 1, 1943 (referendum June 1, 1943).
About 1920 the Wittemann-Lewis Aircraft Company was established here. The
Teterboro Airport is located here today. The Aviation Hall of Fame and Museum
of New Jersey is located at the Teterboro Airport.
General Information - Population: 1980-19; 1990-22.
UPPER SADDLE RIVER
Bergen County, N.J. borough formed November 22, 1894 (referendum November
20, 1894) from area taken from Orvil and Hohokus Townships. On May 18 and
20, 1895 additional area was acquired from Orvil and Hohokus Townships.
In 1912 some of its area transferred to Montvale Borough. On December 9
and 14, 1965 parts were transferred to and from Montvale Borough.
The Saddle River Reformed Dutch Church was established here in 1784 and
the existing old stone church building was erected here in 1819. Upper Saddle
River includes or included sections called Africa, DeBauntown, Duffys Mills,
Hidden Glen, Hoppers Mills, Mexico, Posts Mills, Sparrowbush.
The Upper Saddle River Historical Society operates the Hopper-Goetschius
House Museum and the Tice Barn on Lake Street in Upper Saddle River.
Upper Saddle River Postal Service - At one time, mail for Upper Saddle River
was handled by the Allendale Post Office. Today, Upper Saddle River mail
is handled by Saddle River Post Office, with a Zip Code of 07458.
General Information - Upper Saddle River Borough is 5.03 sq. miles in area.
Population: 1940-510; 1980-7,958; 1990-7,198.
Waldwick was incorporated as a Bergen County, N.J. borough April 7, 1919
replacing Orvil Township. In 1921 part of its area was transferred to Ramsey
Borough. In 1925 part went to Saddle River Borough.
The name, meaning "a light in the wood" is from the name ("Waldwick
Cottage") given to the home of Elijah Rosencrantz II, which is today
more commonly known as "the Hermitage" in Ho-Ho-Kus near the Waldwick
border. The Waldwick locality was known earlier as New Prospect and The
Hookie (Dutch, meaning "Little Corner"). The New Prospect Methodist
Church was established here by 1797. Early industries in the community included
the Rosencrantz cotton mill, founded by John Rosencrantz after he moved
to the area in 1787, and the John White paper mill, established in 1837.
Waldwick Postal Service - The Waldwick Post Office was established here
on 1 April 1890 with Henry L. Hopper as the first Postmaster. Other early
Waldwick postmasters included George Oughton (appointed 29 July 1892), George
E. Tonkin (25 April 1900), William H. Shuart (18 June 1904), Francis L.
Peterson (9 Nov 1906), William A. Cullen (8 Jan 1921), Peter Meyer (10 May
1927), and George Schultz (31 May 1927). The Waldwick Zip Code is 07463.
General Information - Waldwick station on the main line of the Erie Railroad
(later ConRail and New Jersey Transit). 2.4 sq. miles in area. Population:
1940-2,475; 1970-12,313; 1980-10,802; 1990-9,757.
A Bergen County, N.J. borough situated on the Passaic River, formed January
2, 1895 (referendum December 31, 1894) from area taken from Bergen and Saddle
River Townships. Part of its area was set off to Garfield Borough in 1898.
Wallington Postal Service - Wallington was established as Sub-Station No.
1 of the Rutherford Post Office in August 1900. The name Wallington was
dropped about 1907. It was changed to Station No. 12 of the Passaic Post
Office (Passaic County, NJ) in October 1912, and became the Wallington Branch
of the Passaic Post Office in April 1929. The Wallington Zip Code is 07057.
General Information - Wallington Borough is 2.4 sq. miles in area. Population:
1940-8,981; 1970-10,284; 1980-10,741; 1990-10,828.
A Bergen County, N.J. township created April 13, (January 30?) 1840 from
Harrington Township. On April 8, 1844 its area was returned to Harrington
Township. Also in 1844, it acquired area from Franklin Township. On April
14, 1845 Washington Township was re-formed from Harrington Township and
part from Franklin Township returned. In 1852 it acquired area from Hohokus
Township. Throughout the last half of the 19th century parts of Washington
Township transferred to Midland Township (1874); Orvil Township (1886);
Westwood Borough (May 9, 1894); Park Ridge Borough (May 15, 1894); Eastwood
Borough (June 6, 1894); Montvale Borough and Woodcliff Borough (August 31,
1894); Delford Borough (February 1, 1895 and April 23, 1897); and Hillsdale
Township (1898). On September 10, 1895 another part went to Woodcliff Borough.
On March 27, 1896 part of its area that had gone to Eastwood Borough was
restored. In 1903, part went to Etna Borough; in 1904 part to Harrington
Park Borough; in 1906 part to River Vale Township; and in 1906 part to Monvale
Borough. On November 26 1956 parts were transferred to and from Park Ridge
Borough. On September 1, 1958, another part of Washington Township was transferred
to Park Ridge Borough. On April 1, 1959 parts were transferred to and from
Hillsdale Borough. On April 30, 1965 parts were transferred to and from
Westwood Borough. On February 9, 1971 part went to Ridgewood Village. In
1974 parts transferred to and from Hillsdale Borough (approved by Washington
Township November 5, 1974).
The area of Washington Township was once much larger than it is today, and
it encompassed the neighborhoods of Chestnut Ridge and Saddle River Valley.
Washington Township includes or included Schlegel Lake, Eastwood, Overkill,
Pascack, Kent town, Wearimus, Dunktown.
The four Beuerlein brothers, Joseph, Charles, Peter and Bill, started growing
flowers on Pascack Road in 1918. They had 14 greenhouses on 55 acres and
raised over 300,000 flowers each year. The Pines Lake Inn at Pascack Road
and Ridgewood Ave. was originally a house on 100 acres. The historic home
now called Seven Chimneys was built between 1745 and 1750 by Nicholas Zabriskie,
grandson of Albert Zabnriskie who came to America in 1662.
Washington Township Postal Service - Mail for Washington Township was handled
by the Westwood Post Office and mail for the northern section was handled
by the Park Ridge Post Office. Today, Washington Township mail is handled
by Westwood, with a Zip Code of 07675.
General Information - Washington Township is about 3.1 sq. miles in area
(in 1940). Residential; population: 1920-300; 1940-491; 1970-10,577; 1980-9,550;
Westwood became a Bergen County, N.J. borough organized May 8, incorporated
May 9, 1894 (referendum May 8, 1894), from area taken from Washington Township.
In April 1909, the borough's area was enlarged by the addition of a portion
of Emerson known as the Old Hook section. On September 24, 1957 Westwood
Borough exchanged portions with Emerson Borough. On April 30, 1965, parts
transferred to and from Washington Township.
Bogert's Mill was operating here at the time of the Revolution. Earlier
included part of Pleasantville (Pleasantville later became part of Washington
Township). Includes or included Bogert's Pond and possibly an area named
Leslie (Leslie Post Office existed briefly from about 1900 to 29 May 1903
when it was discontinued and its mail henceforth handled by Westwood Post
Office). Westwood's slogan is "the Hub of Pascack Valley."
Westwood Post Office - A post office by this name existed by 1870. The post
office name earlier had been Pleasantville. Early Westwood postmasters included
Isaac D. Bogert (10 Mar 1870), Abram C. Holdrum (14 Dec 1892), Thomas E.
Brickell (30 Sep 1893), James M. Bogert (2 Oct 1897), Frank M. O'Shea (9
Jan 1908), Warren H. Stagg (27 June 1916), John H. Stegmann (30 Jan 1922),
and Mary MacGregor Smith (18 July 1929). The Westwood Zip Code is 07675.
General Information - A station on the New Jersey and New York Railroad
(Erie System; now Conrail and Pascack Valley Rail line). Westwood is largely
residential, with some light manufacturing. 2.4 sq. miles in area. Population:
1909-1,800; 1940-5,388; 1970-11,105; 1980-10,714; 1990-10,446.
Woodcliff Lake is a Bergen County, N.J. borough formed March 1, 1910
replacing Woodcliff Borough. On January 1, 1956 and again on July 1, 1958
Woodcliff Lake Borough exchanged portions with Park Ridge Borough. On October
13, 1960 parts were transferred to and from Hillsdale Borough.
The area had earlier been called Pascack, from the name given the depot
here on the Hackensack Extension Railway. After the Hackensack Water Company
built the vast lake here, the word "Lake" was added to the name
of the borough, and it became Woodcliff Lake.
Woodcliff Lake Postal Service - The Woodcliff Lake Post Office was created
19 April 1907 from the discontinued Woodcliff Post Office. An early Woodcliff
Lake postmaster was John H. Ackerman (appointed 19 Apr 1907). Woopdcliff
Lake is today a Branch of the Westwood Post Office and shares with it the
Zip Code of 07675.
General Information - In 1909 a station on the New Jersey and New York Railroad
(Erie System). Woodcliff Lake Borough is about 3.8 sq. miles in area. Population:
1909-500; 1940-1,037; 1980-5,644; 1990-5,303.
Not to be confused with the geographically separate and different, but
similarly-named, Woodbridge, in Middlesex County, N.J.
Earlier written Woodridge, the name was hyphenated circa 1920s-1930s to
distinguish it from Woodbridge. The area was earlier known as Polifly.
Wood-Ridge became a Bergen County, N.J. borough formed December 6, 1894
(referendum December 5, 1894) from area taken from Bergen Township. On April
2, 1897 Wood-Ridge Borough acquired additional area from Bergen Township.
The railroad station here was built about 1870. Wood-Ridge included or includes
areas called Hexenbuckl, Siberia and Sunshine City (developed 1927-1929,
Marlboro Road through south side of Lincoln Avenue).
The Wood-Ridge Memorial Library is the former Brinkerhoff homestead, with
a cornerstone date of 1792.
Wood Ridge Postal Service - The Wood Ridge Post Office (sometimes written
Woodridge Post Office) was established 15 Aug 1872 with Joseph Herrmanns
as the first Postmaster. Other early Wood Ridge Postmasters included John
H. Jansen (appointed 25 Apr 1882), Mary F. Ball (12 Mar 1883), James Young
(21 Sep 1893), and Susan Fisher (30 Sep 1893). The Wood Ridge Post Office
was discontinued 31 July 1901 and on 1 Aug 1901 it became a Sub-station
of the Rutherford Post Office. The Post Office became the Woodridge Branch
16 Sep 1926; the name was changed in August 1929 to Wood-Ridge, and it became
an Independent Branch in February 1939. Wood-Ridge today is a Branch of
the Rutherford Post Office, and has a Zip Code of 07075.
General Information - In 1909, a station on the New Jersey and New York
Railroad (Erie System). Residential, 1.1 sq. miles in area. Population:
1909-1,000; 1940-5,739; 1970-8,311; 1980-7,929; 1990-7,506.
Wyckoff became a Bergen County, N.J. township, formed November 2, 1926
(referendum November 2, 1926) replacing Franklin Township. In 1931 part
of its area transferred to Midland Park Borough.
The Reformed Dutch Church of Wyckoff was established here in 1806. The area
was known by this name long before its official incorporation in 1926. The
name supposedly is derived from an Indian word meaning "high ground,"
or possibly from the Indian "Wickock" having some reference to
water. Others suggest the name may come from the Dutch "Wijk hof "
(loosely, "magistrate town"). Wyckoff includes the section called
Wyckoff Postal Service - A post office by this name existed by 1868. Early
postmasters included John P. Ramsey, Jr. (8 Sep 1868), Daniel D. Drew (14
July 1871), Nathaniel B. Depew (19 Feb 1880), John E. Mowerson (4 May 1881),
Archer J. Mowerson (11 Nov 1902), Herman Klomburg (24 May 1909), and Richard
Van Iderstone (16 Dec 1913). At one time mail for Wyckoff Township was handled
by the Wyckoff and Midland Park Post Offices. The Wyckoff Zip Code is 07481.
General Information - In 1909, a station on the New York, Susquehanna and
Western Railroad. 6.18 sq. miles in area. Population: 1909-500; 1940-3,847;
1970-16,039; 1980-15,500; 1990-15,372.